For lunch, I went over to my grandma place and she made something light as I was still nursing from a nasty sore throat. She made braised tofu with monkey head mushrooms.
For dinner, my mum in law made stir fried bean sprouts, braised silken and firm tofu and braised mushrooms with broccoli. The marinated mushrooms were superb and the recipe she shared was similar to the one I found here or another from here.
- 150g shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- thumb sized ginger, julienned
- water/chicken stock/vegetable stock
- ½ tbsp mushroom flavoured light soy sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- Soak the shiitake mushrooms in room temperature water for 20 minutes or until softened through. When softened, gently squeeze the excess water and cut the stem off. Set aside.
- Heat oil in shallow frying pan over medium heat.
- Pan-fry the shiitake mushrooms on both sides until golden brown. The aroma of the mushrooms is also a good indicator that have been nicely browned but keep your nostrils open.
- Add in the garlic and ginger. Fry until golden brown, again.
- Slowly add in the water and the rest of the sauce ingredients (if using ½ tbsp oyster sauce, add in at this stage together with all the rest of the sauce ingredients). Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
- If you want a thicker sauce, add ½ tsp of cornflour + 1 tsp water to the shiitakes.