A rainy day calls for a hot soothing soup and we decided to whip up a warm creamy mushroom soup. Using the recipe from The Almost Vegan which uses cashew as the secret ingredient to make the soup really creamy. We had it with aglio olio and wild rocket salad.
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil (We used olive oil instead)
- 10 oz Cremini Mushrooms (We used shiitake and button white mushrooms)
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 cups vegetable broth (We did not have this so we used 2 1/2 cups of water)
- 1 Tbsp Liquid Aminos or soy sauce (We used soy sauce)
- 1 tsp pepper
- dash salt
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (We used unsweetened almond milk)
Dice onions and garlic, it doesn’t matter if they are roughly chopped. They will be blended later. Heat oil and add yellow onion, cook for 5 minutes, add garlic and cook for another minute.
Add mushrooms and liquid aminos and cook for 5 more minutes. Add vegetable broth, salt, pepper and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for about 15 minutes until mushrooms are very tender. May need more or less time. Use your own judgement.
While simmering, blend cashews and milk to create a cashew cream.
Transfer mushroom soup into large blender, be careful it is hot. (We blended only after the mushroom soup was cooler)
Blend on high until everything is well blended. We heated the blended soup again and pour in to serving dish.
It tasted really creamy and the only thing we would do is to use vegetable broth the next time for more flavour.