This afternoon I decided to make carb free sushi and remembered a recipe from Glow Kitchen I saved a couple of months back. Instead of using rice, I blended cauliflowers and the texture was similar to rice and was quick to achieve with a blender.
– 1 cup cauliflower, chopped or food-processed into little pieces
– 1 carrot
– 1 cucumber
– 1 red bell pepper (I did not add this)
– 1 avocado
– 2 stalks green onion (I did not add this)
– 3 tbsp soy sauce
– 1/2 tbsp shredded ginger (I used wasabi instead)
– nori sheets (however many the vegetable output can fit)
Method: Based on the amounts above, I made 4 sushi rolls
1. Slice the cucumbers, avocado and carrots into thin even slices.
2. Process the cauliflower in the blender. This will be your “rice”.
3. Lay out the cauliflower rice and I added a tablespoon of mirin (rice vinegar) for more taste and I dried them near the window to remove any moisture.
4. Roll the sushi sheet using the horizontal lines.
5. Layer cauliflower rice first, cucumbers, carrots and avocado last.
6. Roll tightly and dap some water at the ends to seal the roll up.
7. Slice carefully and serve with soy sauce with wasabi.
This dish is similar to the quinoa sushi I made a couple of weeks back and I prefer the quinoa version. Somehow this was too raw for my liking although it tasted really clean. I might try using cauliflower as cous cous the next time round!