I love heading to my grandma place because she always have mini treats she makes in her fridge. Last week, I ate the yummiest and most refreshing cucumber pickle and took down the recipe to try at home.
1 big fat cucumber (Grandma told me the normal ones will do instead of the Japanese skinny cucumber)
Slices of Chillies (I used 2 greens and 1 red)
Distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons of white sugar (To balance the vinegar taste)
2 teaspoons of salt
1. First, wash all the chillies and cucumber.
2. Cut off the 2 edges of the cucumber ends and rub it against the body to remove the bitter taste.
3. Scrap the seeds off and slice them in small slices
4. Sprinkle the salt and let it sweat for 15 minutes.
5. Drain all the salt water out and sprinkle sugar over them.
6. Add in chillies and vinegar and mix them up together. (Grandma told me to cover half of the cucumbers with vinegar)
7. Leave in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours and eat them within the next 3 days.
To make a variation of textures, I could have added carrots, cabbages, peanuts, sesame seeds too. After 6 hours, I tried them for the first time during dinner and it tasted as good as Grandma’s version. Most recipes I found online contains shallots, garlic, chilli powder, mustard oil, curry powder and tumeric powder too. Mine tasted really crunchy and clean and was a good snack to munch on!
We had it together with my mum in law’s basmatic curry nasi briyani and broccoli mushroom pot.
On the topic of cucumbers, I have been ordering vegetable juices whenever I am out. Instead of 80% fruits, I try to have 80% vegetables like celery, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers in my drink with an extra pineapple, green apple or melon to make it less grassy. The above drink had cucumber, lemon and pineapple and was really refreshing!