After many attempts, we finally found the perfect mac & cheese recipe! Using a couple of ingredients, this dish is easy to whip up and was super satisfying.
- 1/2 pound of fusili (or your preferred pasta)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tsp almond milk
- 2-3 TB Earth Balance
- 1/2 tsp flour
- 2/3 cup Daiya cheddar (They cost $12 per packet at Supernature)
- 1/2 cup Daiya mozzarella (They cost $12 per packet at Supernature)
- 1 tsp mustard powder (I did not add this)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp onion powder (I did not add this)
- 1 TB nutritional yeast (nooch)
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper (I like a lot of pepper, so you may want to taste as you go)
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Boil salted water in a medium size pot. Add your pasta and cook according to package directions. Then drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, get another pot. Heat over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup milk and Earth Balance. Whisk in the flour and spices. Bring to a gentle boil, until the sauce starts to thicken. Be sure to stir often, scraping the bottom or else it will burn to your pan.
- Turn heat to med-low and use a whisk to mix in the cheese. Keep whisking until cheese is almost entirely melted. I had to add that last TB of milk and whisk more to really make the cheese practically velvety smooth. It will get smoother when you add the pasta.
- Fold in your pasta. I let mine cook on low for another minute, just for good measure.
- Adjust any seasonings and serve it up!
We also made roasted baby broccoli $10 for a bunch, with a dash of olive oil, salt and pepper with some garlic powder and tomatoes at 180c for 15 minutes.