These days, my mum in law have been whipping up lazy one pot dishes which are super delicious, comforting and packed with so much ingredients. We love it so much and usually we have enough to last us till dinner or supper too. Best part, it can be heated up simply by using the microwave as she usually cooks them a couple of hours in advance if she will not be home early to cook dinner.
1. Vegetarian Rainbow Bee Hoon from Nasi Lemak Lover
A tip to get QQ noodles is to blanch mee hoon in hot boiling water turn it turns white and set aside for several minutes. We did not add soya sauce as we wanted the ingredients to pop from the dish just like the blogger!
400g (1 packet) Mee Hoon/Rice Vermicelli
1 carrot, shredded
2 celery, shredded
2 Japanese cucumber, shredded
5 dried Shiitake mushrooms, soaked for several hours, shredded
4 tofu puff, shredded
150g bean sprouts, washed and drained
100ml water (you may adjust according to your type/brand of Rice Vermicelli)
2tbsp light soy sauce
1 and 1/2tsp salt or to taste
A dash of white pepper powder
1. Blanch mee hoon in hot boiling water for less than a minute( when color turned white), drained and set aside for 5mins. Loosen the mee hoon.
2. Heat oil in a wok, sauté mushroom,tofu puff and carrot for 1min.
3. Add in celery and bean sprout, mix well.
4. Pour in water, add in seasonings, cook for another 1min but still remain some water.
5. Turn off the heat, add in mee hoon, gently stir and mix well with the vegetables.
6. Turn on low heat, add in cucumber, cover and cook for another 1mins.
7. Turn off the heat, stir well and serve.
2. Mango Thai Fusion Salad
6 cups arugula leaves
1 mango, peeled and cut into slices
1 avocado, peeled and sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 tbs lime juice
Spicy orange vinaigrette
1 tbs champagne vinegar
4 tbs orange juice, about 1/2 orange
2 tbs lime juice, about 1/2 lime
4 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin
2 tbs finely chopped cilantro
1 red chilli or hot pepper, sliced
Salt and pepper
Combine all the ingredients for the salad dressing in a jar, close it tight and shake until the ingredients are well mixed.
Soak the onion slices in warm water with a dash of salt and 1 tbs lime juice for about 10 minutes
Rinse and drain the onions slices
Toss the arugula leaves with half the vinaigrette
Add avocado slices, mango slices and onion slices to the arugula mix, drizzle the remaining vinaigrette on top.
3. Minestrone Macaroni Pasta Soup (which she decided to cook stir fry style)
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- Bean Cooking Directions
- 1 cup dry penne pasta, cooked al dente, rinsed with cold water, and set aside
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic (2 – 3 cloves)
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 minced fresh jalapeño pepper
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced thin on the diagonal
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed and sliced thinly
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut in 1″ cubes
- 1 cup sliced fresh OR frozen green beans
- 1/2 chopped red bell pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne or chipotle pepper OR to taste
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaf
- 1 tsp dried marjoram leaf
- 1/2 tsp gr cumin
- 1 tsp gr coriander
- 1 cup low sodium tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 4 cups water or soup stock
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, parsley or cilantro as garnish
- Put 2 qts salted water on to boil for the pasta
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water for 7 minutes, drain, rinse with cold water and set aside
- Heat the oil on low in a 4 – 6 quart pan
- Prep the veggies
- Add the onion to the oil, sauté 5 minutes on med heat
- Add the garlic & jalapeño, sauté 5 minutes on med heat
- Add the celery, carrot, and potato. Sauté 5 minutes on med/high heat
- Add the red pepper and fresh green beans, herbs and spices, sauté briefly
- Drain and rinse the kidney beans, then add to veggies with the water or stock and tomato sauce
- Stove Top: Bring to boil, cover and simmer the veggies and beans. When the veggies are tender, add cooked pasta, frozen green beans if using, and salt to taste. Cook for 10 more minutes
- Slow Cooker or Crockpot: Sauté the onions, garlic, & jalapeño as directed above. Add everything to the crockpot except the pasta & frozen beans, cover and simmer on low until veggies are tender: 4 – 6 hours
- Refrigerate the pasta
- When the veggies are tender, add the pasta, frozen green beans & salt. Turn heat to high and cook for 20 more minutes or until pasta and green beans are heated through. Add salt to taste and serve immediately.
- 4. Vegetarian Casserole- bbcgoodfood
A tip found from the site is to cook the casserole a day before to allow the flavours to develop.
- 1 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 3 medium carrots , sliced (about 200g)
- 2 medium sticks celery , finely sliced (about 120g)
- 1 red pepper , chopped
- 1 yellow pepper , chopped
- 2 x 400g tins tomatoes or peeled cherry tomatoes
- 250ml vegetable stock cube (we used 1 Knorr vegetable stock pot)
- 2 courgettes , sliced thickly (about 300g)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 250g cooked lentils (we used Merchant Gourmet ready-to-eat Puy lentils)
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pan. Add the onions and cook gently for 5 – 10 mins until softened.
- Add the garlic, spices, dried thyme, carrots, celery and peppers and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, courgettes and fresh thyme and cook for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Take out the thyme sprigs. Stir in the lentils and bring back to a simmer. Serve with wild and white basmati rice, mash or quinoa.